Tuesday 19 February 2013

New recipe! Boiled fruit cake

It's been a very long time since I last posted in here. I'm still vegan and still going strong. I made a mistake in getting lazy and losing my initial enthusiasm in cooking all of my food from scratch. Lots of pre-packaged pies, sausages, burgers, etc. Not much imagination in the kitchen. But I'm hoping to change all of that.

One of the things that my housemate and I were always trying to do was to get back onto our much ignored diet. We've been doing The Cambridge plan for about 6 weeks now, with included cheating. I made a cake for my grandmothers birthday today, and I made it vegan, so I just couldn't resist trying a piece.
Boiled fruit cake was a much loved recipe of mine - I'd never eaten such a moist fruit cake before discovering this recipe and it's been a firm favourite of mine for over half of my life. I finally plucked up the nerve to make it today, veganised, and it turned out beautifully!


Boiled Fruit Cake
150g margarine (I used Vitalite)
300g Sultanas
300g Currents
180g Soft Brown Sugar (I used 90g of a stevia and brown sugar mix)
1tsp Mixed Spice
1tsp Cinnamon
1tsp Bicarbonate of Soda
1tsp Baking Powder
250 ml Water
6 TBSP Applesauce
150g Plain Flour
150g Self Raising Flour

Combine Butter, sultanas, currents, sugar, mixed spice, cinnamon, bicarbonate of soda, baking powder and water in a saucepan. Bring to boil, stirring, then set aside to cool for one hour.
Heat the oven to 180c/Gas 4. Add the applesauce, mixing well with a wooden spoon. Sift the two flours into the mixture and beat well. Pour into a lightly oiled cake tin.
Bake for an hour, or until a thin skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean.
Remove from the oven, allow to cool slightly before removing from tin.
VOILA! Perfect, moist boiled fruit cake!

No comments:

Post a Comment