Wednesday 29 September 2010

Recipe: Curry Pumpkin soup

I've downloaded dozens of apps onto my iPhone to help me to make the transition first to vegetarian and then to veganism, but after buying my [very first!] pumpkin, I was disappointed to see that very few of them had simple pumpkin recipes of things that didn't require more than a dozen ingredients. So I decided to look on an older app I'd downloaded goddess knows how long ago. Big Oven, thankfully came to my rescue!

Curry Pumpkin Soup

Ingredients
1 Kilogram Pumpkin, chopped
3 Potatoes, chopped
1 Clove Garlic
1/3 cup Red Curry Paste
400 millilitres Coconut Milk
2 cups Vegetable Stock
Yoghurt, natural
Cracked pepper, to taste




Preparation - Curry Pumpkin Soup
Cook onion and garlic in oil until soft.
Stir in curry paste and cook for 1 minute.
Add pumpkin, potatoes, coconut milk and stock.
Bring to boil and simmer for 15 minutes.
Puree in batches.
Serve with yoghurt and pepper.
(Image taken from the Big Oven site)
I admit to not being the type of person that bothers with measurements. I used a small pumkin and got maybe a quarter of what the recipe asked for. I used a handful of baby potatoes because that was all I had on hand. 1 ½ tsp of curry paste, a dash of coconut milk and maybe a mug of stock.
I didn't bother with yoghurt and I added the pepper to the soup instead of sprinkling it on top.
To go with the soup, I made flatbread with plain white flour, a little salt and water, which I didn't expect would work but did.
All in all, a very earthy and deliciously spicy soup, and I can now label pumpkin as a used ingredient.

No comments:

Post a Comment